Sunday, June 2, 2013

French Culture insights, ect. ect.

Yes the title is French culture but let us first have a quick and contemplative mourning of no longer being in easy access of the Belgium Belgium waffle. Internally I am mourning such a mouth watering delicacy. The Belgium's knew how to make a waffle. As what is seemingly normal for Europeans traffic is one of the scarier things one can experience. It is right up there as a staring contest with a cobra. One have much confidence in doing things which I believe is the Europeans secret to navigating their traffic system. Though I greatly appreciate their public transportation system; the squeals of the metros in Paris is ear-splitting, and sometimes the smell of human lesser fragrant odors pluming into ones nose with the expected ammonia. Though that now shows why they wear scarves, to hide ones face. I now own two. I just need to remember to wear them. Another thing on Paris that is less, icky, is the couples. One can view a bout of "p.d.a." while people walking. In parks the cute couple walking in the parks holding each others arms, sitting on benches and feeding ducks. Fresh flower shops on every other block adds to the warm and fuzzy picture. No wonder Paris is the city of lovers. I absolutely adore how well pedestrians get around, barring the traffic can get around. Again what is needed is a sense of confidence. If one does not walk with purpose or becomes hesitant about whether to cross or not it causes issues with those with vehicles. It is not about being polite when it comes to being a pedestrian, nor is it always about the rules. It is about going. As the lady said on the tram in Amsterdam, "Just push." As I spend more time here I am more confident in my ability to get around and not being ran over. I will miss being in a place that was constructed with pedestrians in mind rather that that of personal vehicles like it is in the United States. I would like to also mention the different smells. I have noticed different ambient smells in each country. Each very distinctive in each country. With the exception of the trams, fish stalls, and some random areas Paris smells sweet almost. Maybe its the perfume. Belgium, though was rainy so that may have had an influence, but it smelled like a sour metal and Amsterdam smelled warm, it may also have been dependent on weather, since it was our warmest and sunniest days on the trip thus far. Though Paris was not my favorite, sorry Dr Stanley, I will miss Europe, again. The culture is worth attempting to immerse ones self in.

No comments:

Post a Comment