Sunday, June 2, 2013

June 2nd - Culture Post

Language is a bigger deal here in France than it was in the Netherlands. Perhaps it stems from more nationalistic sentiments here in France, or maybe just because the Dutch are more multicultural given their population and size; but regardless it seems as though people in France are much more likeley to get peeved at you for not knowing the language than the dutch would. I can't say I blame them. In the States people get mad all the time when someone starts speaking anything other than English. Maybe we all just need to take a chill pill and eat another stroopwafel ;)

2 comments:

  1. Yeah I agree, they don't seem nearly as happy to try and help with speaking french. Whereas with dutch I had more than enough help when I was trying to speak dutch and making mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe stroopwaffle has chilling effects?but overall good point. I would love to speak to everyone in their own language but do not have the necessary skills. Though pantomime seems to work as a good replacement!

    ReplyDelete